Cross-blog post import. I seeeeee, Blogger, you nefarious beast. How did I miss that memo? I'm asking.
It's not exactly what I was looking for, but it's a start. Ideally I'd like to be able to choose which posts are private v. public. Ideally. Otherwise I can only access unpublished posts through the dashboard, which is kind of a pain in the ass. Maybe I just need to look harder.
Went to Q-Mart yesterday with the usual suspects. Hooboy. I imagine it's what Zern's looked like 30 years ago (this is a good thing -- Zern's today is a depressing cesspool of old sweat and pork sausage, as opposed to a bountiful quagmire of old sweat and pork sausage.) I didn't buy anything of note, but there were actually things I wanted to, as opposed to just sort of eyeing them up with the sick curiosity I usually display the markets called flea- and farmers-. I've sworn to never go to Zern's again of my own volition, whereas I could definitely see going back to Q-Mart if not in the near future (kind of a drive), then at least the not-so-distant one. Yes. There's a difference.
Otherwise, I spent pretty much the entirety of the long weekend shooting zombies in the face. I did take a break to perform extensive surgery, serve up multiple 6-course meals, and kick the everloving shit out of The Flash.
Oh, and may I add: while that geekfest of lethargy was going on, I was trying, REALLY TRYING to install WoW. This whole drama started well over a year ago when Mike sent me the damn game in a vie to bring me over to the dark side of all that is dorky and lame and I'm all stoicly "go fuck yourself." Seriously. It has been collecting ire on my desk since June of 2007.
Right, so, what, 2 weeks ago or so; in a half shove brought on by drunkeness and the vague acceptance that holding out for 18 months was long enough to make my statement loud and clear, I decided to blow the dust off and load this bastid up. But of course that doesn't work. Disc two (OF FIVE) is all fucked. Somehow. Being unopened and all. I check out a few FAQs for a workaround, and lo, I can just copy all the files onto my C drive and load the thing from there. Fine, easy enough. It only took approximately FOUR DAYS to transfer that clunky fuck.
Whatever. Data's loaded, ready to install. That goes well. Set the account up. Go to rev it up so I can create my character and get this geek party started. And ... oh, look, a patch. Well, sure, I expected that, it's been 18 months after all. Oh, look again, Blizzard has their own downloader, ok. I can handle that. Click.
45 minutes later... I notice that only 6mb have downloaded out of the 500 that need to. Hum. Something's gone awry here. I certainly don't have the fastest connection, but jesus christ, it's not a 56k modem. Let us look into this.
An additional 45 minutes later ... I've figured out that I have to set exceptions for 1) my router, 2) my antivirus firewall, and 3) my Windows firewall. I'm beginning to get the "this is batshit ridiculous" giggles of impending insanity by this point. Apparently all that time of ire and snobbery is being served back to me times like a zillion. Potentially on the back of a dinosaur.*
I did get the download speed sorted. So that's alright. Although the patches? Right? I started them off on Saturday evening. It is now Monday. There are still 4 or 5 left. Granted, they havent been running 24/7, maybe a cumulative total of 6 - 8 hours or so. But still. This process has been fucking EPIC. And I feel like I've already paid for my reticence in blood.
I'll not mention the fact that I'm going to need to transfer everything to an external HD tomorrow, because my laptop has nowhere near enough space for the metric fuckton of geekery I'm trying to inject into its soft places.
All this to say? I hate you, Mike. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.
That tangent went on longer than expected. Uh, sorry. The point's been lost. As per usual.
*Note: All of that entirely glazes over the fact that shortly after noticing the discs were not working, I installed the 10-Day trial from the website, named my character Cokmonger, proceeded to call Mike and laugh uncontrollably at him for riding what appeared to be a stegasaurus. Yes. I was hammered. Friends don't let friends play World of Warcraft hammered.
No comments:
Post a Comment