Friday, July 27, 2007

That's right. Music!

There are usually 1 to 3 worthwhile discoveries off of any DJ Ferret compilation, and the new(ish) Asleep By Dawn disc comes through with that if little else. I'm of the mind that 3 excellent tracks I wouldn't have otherwise heard is worth the $5.99 most retailers charge for the CD/DVD set, regardless of the fact that the other 10 are either old, derivative or really christawful (like ThouShaltNot's contribution, When I Crash, which both sounds like it was recorded in mom's basement and delivers the same sort of gut dropping nausea one feels when speeding over a dead animal on the highway) .

So here's a single I rather enjoyed:



Evidently the band is some sort of bizarre Italian (!) cyperpunk collective. Really, wikipedia them and see. I don't know about you, but the words "Italian cyperpunk collective" alone are more than enough to make me want to investigate further.

Other tracks worth listening to*:

Angelspit - 100%
It might as well be on a Pigface album, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Star Industry - Sin
If you liked their club hit "Nineties" from ... well, the late 90's, then you'll like this. If you've never heard Nineties, I would describe them as Sisters Of Mercy without the whole "no, we're not goth" ridiculousness. They have the spooky vocals thing, but manage to avoid being too over the top or cheesy.

Stromkern - Stand Up
Stromkern is weird enough to be officially labeled "an aquired taste." They are, essentially, EBM rap. No, really. Equal amounts of both EBM & rap. They did a cover of The Mercy Seat a few years ago, which I thought was the best thing ever, and everyone I knew hated it. So you might hate this, too. But I think it's pretty freakin' awesome.

Voltaire - Day Of The Dead
If you like Voltaire, you will like the new single. If you do not, then you won't. He's not breaking any new ground with this, but it's as good as anything he's done in the past.

ASP - Ich Will Brennen
This song came out in, what, 2002? So I have no idea why it's on this CD. But it remains one of my favorite non-English songs, and should be mentioned for posterity.


RUN SCREAMING FROM ...

ThouShaltNot - When I Crash [see above]
Emilie Autumn - Shalott
You are not Tori Amos! Stop your damned caterwauling!

Carfax Abbey - Evisceration
Blackballed on general principle. Fuck Carfax Abbey.



*I will probably upload them when I'm home rather than make you suffer through additional wma files

No comments:

Post a Comment