Daily Activities I Never Knew Relied So Heavily On The Use Of My Left Thumb:
- The putting on and removal of pants
- The fastening and unfastening of said pants
- The putting on and removal of shoes
- The fastening and unfastening of said shoes
- The washing & combing of hair
- The tap of a spacebar when typing
- Text messaging
- Video games
- The opening of food packages
- The ashing of cigarettes
- The twisting of caps
- Then opening of my manual car window
- The filling of gas into my car
- The placing of my purse on my shoulder
- The opening of my wallet
List provided because all of those activities are now – when carelessly performed -- causing levels of pain heretofore unrealized as existing.
Not only did I cut the everloving christ out of my thumb yesterday, I did it while essentially being covered in a fine glaze of raw chicken parts, so now I’m pretty sure I’m dying of salmonella poisoning. However, I did bleed for 45 minutes, so maybe whatever poison that transmitted was drained along with all of my vital fluids. I probably should have gotten stitches, but I’m trying to be a chef, goddamnit, and I will not be taken off the line by a flesh wound (she says with gritted teeth.)
Adventures in culinary school, kids! I’m actually pretty pleased that this is only the second nasty wound I’ve taken in 13 weeks. Well, while in school. I’m not counting the grater incident because that was in my kitchen. Both school wounds have in fact been suffered because of careless knife washing and not actually while chopping anything, so clearly I need to pay more attention at the sink.
On the bright side, I can now dismantle an entire chicken. Snapping the legs into a position god never intended them to be in is sooooo satisfying. You should try it.
I'm a little sad the the everloving Christ no longer resides in your thumb.
ReplyDeleteSad? You don't even want to know how it crawled back in.
ReplyDelete