Being depressed is a lot about just surviving. It promotes a subsistence lifestyle. You were talking earlier about going home and your mom noticing that you were just “getting by,” but not doing well. I think if you’re depressed or anxious and you’re not treating it, you just do a bunch of shit in order to just get by. And the fear is, if you don’t there will be no future you. Not that I’m saying you would have killed yourself if you hadn't bought those sad pants or I would have killed myself if I hadn't bought that tiny sweater. But it’s true that my feelings felt unsustainable, and feelings are facts. (I stole that from a friend, but it is The Truth.)
It’s hard to argue with them. They’re worse than facts, because they don’t respond to logic. They only respond to impulsive purchases, and massive amounts of cheese, or whatever it is that you’re doing in order not to rip your own face off. If you’re facing a choice between harming yourself financially and harming yourself physically, it seems pretty clear to me that price of a tiny sweater is not such a high one to pay.
Hmmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment